Author: Greeny
•Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Acopia - 'The word that people in my profession, unprofessionally give to people like me when they fail to function appropriately under everyday situations'.

I've been growing increasingly stressed. Today was major break down number one. Why? Because some stupid old bat manning the phones in Department of Transport decided that any answer that I provided to place of birth question was not specific enough. So there I was squealing the details of my birth certificate down the phone before she transferred me off to some other woman with a special title. I am sure in reality it was hand off because this idiot doesn't understand that some things don't need to be verbatim and couldn't handle a psychotic sounding young woman yelling and crying down the phone. Of course, the other lady managed to do it all first time without any dramas and by this time I was a disorganised blubbering mess. Talk about being in embarrassment to myself.

I know that had I been in a better frame of mind then I would have been fine. I would have become annoyed at worst but certainly not thrown myself off the deep end. I found myself not much feeling like calling anyone else after that...

I could say a few things about Telstra right now with their stupid cost saving fibre optic rubbish which basically disables us from getting ADSL2+. Of course neither Telstra or Optus service our area with cable either. So... I am hoping to pay a few $$ extra and get semi amped up dodgy old ADSL.

On a random deviation, we went to sick little paediatric last night. 20 m/o 2/7 hx of illness, seen by GP and dx w/ common cold. Pt was fine and then suddenly erupted into a tonic clonic seizure last ~10/60 and still fitting on our arrival. Pt is febrile at 38.6 but not anywhere near hot enough to cause a febrile convulsion let alone continuous seizing.

I suction out her airway, apply an oxygen mask and get the parents to go about the task of stripping the child down and applying wrapped ice packs to axilla & groin. The seizing continues and I realise that I'm going to have to give her some Midazolam. While my poor student is running around in circles with each demand, the ICP arrives which takes the pressure off. We ended up administering 2.4mg IMI which seems to be effective. As the tx crew are about depart, she is still unconscious w/ trismus but not seizing any longer.

I can only wonder just how those parents would have been feeling, seeing their unconscious child seizing and not having a clue what was going on... I am sure their worry would have had to be more intense but I was feeling the stress myself knowing just how long the seizure had been lasting. It is different with children. It is difficult to detach and there is so much more pressure to get it all right.

I knew when we walked in the door there was something wrong. Windmills on the street aren't uncommon but when people start moving (throwing) tables and chairs and any other obstructing object to clear a path for you, it just screams of sick person.

Anyway, we have some house keys. It is all ours.... I'm excited but I'm stuffed. I want it to be over.
|
This entry was posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: