Author: Greeny
•Wednesday, March 18, 2009
I had my first class of senior training last night. Oddly, I was feeling ridiculously nervous. How many years have I done that before??? I guess it was a bit of the unexpected having been out of my old region's loop for a while and a second RM who I'd not trained a whole lot with as well as a whole bunch of people that I'd never met. Things went exceedingly well though.

The numbers weren't huge and it was very well dominated by black belts. It has been a while since I've trained quite like that and having done public classes for the last year I'd forgotten what it was like to jump straight in and skip all the staged work. I didn't have too much problem though as it felt just like interval training and was able to recovery quickly. After a few combos we skipped on to kata and it was time to get assessed. I think I spent most of the night feeling nervous. Sometimes it helps me perform and sometimes it hinders. I don't like feeling that excited that I have so much energy but a lack of fine control over my limbs as a result. Fortunately, I cooled it just enough for my grade katas.

I felt I performed well. I'd chosen to limit my morning activities to cardio so that I would have something to give that night. It was a decision that I didn't regret and it was actually good to get an idea of what I am capable of when not tired! The feedback is very positive and was told that I actually had a good shot. Coming with no expectations, this was great to hear. I don't mind if it doesn't happen until the end of the year but it will give me something new to focus on in training. So... I am excited and motivated. I learned a few new things and worked hard. It will be great year for karate for me.

In celebration... well actually it just had to be done... I went and bought myself a new set of shin pads after my 8.5 year old ones got stepped on during kumite resulting in me being unable to move backwards, then having the pad slip right off my leg as I fell on my back rather dramatically. It was highly amusing! :-D I still get a rush buying new martial arts gear! I'll have to invest in a new gi soon but will need to go to Queensland Martial Arts Supplies seeing as RMR is only selling the RMR brand now. Yes, I am still a Warrior junkie but I may look at trying out a Tokaido... Decision, decisions!

Otherwise, I have to admit I am feeling a bit on the lonely side lately. The people that I like to hang with are too busy with other things, are shift workers with conflicting times or just too darned far away. I'd really like to get out for a bit of leisure time and reconnect with the world. I've spent a few too many weeks feeling stressed and my dreams are all crazy as ever. Suppose it is time to take stock of the positives and soldier on...

Today, I choose to bathe in the good feelings from last night and look forward to getting my new gene based program tomorrow. :-)
|
This entry was posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: