Author: Greeny
•Monday, December 01, 2008
Found myself at the black belt grading for the first time in a while. It was an interesting show although three and half hours of sitting on a wooden seat and waiting an eternity while the shoulders discuss kata is not my idea of a good time.

Sensei Gavin appears to be genuinely interested in what is going on which makes a very positive change. However, as before, it would appear that unless attempting nidan or above (times apparently have changed) there is not the greatest deal of attention paid and your passage is pretty well guaranteed as long as still standing at the end.

The class generally appeared to be about working the basics so the combinations weren't overly complex, just repeated a multitude of times. I suspect there are a few people with some very sore arms today.

In terms of the higher grading attempts, it is good to see that there is no autopass and mediocrity will not be tolerated. Having said that, the judgement is balanced by age and other uncontrollable limitations.

I have found myself sucked back into the vortex of karate. Yes, GKR is a drug and I despite my best efforts at walking away, I am an addict. However, unlike before, my fitness and strength have greatly improved and it is far easier to achieve the performance I wish. Dare I say that I am actually finding enjoyment again, as much as to even look forward to my next class. The thought has entered my mind that perhaps I could try this nidan thing. Perhaps is would also be fair to say that it has been more than just a passing thought. However, I have reservations. I am not sure that I wish to go through all that stress and pressure. I am in a good place right now where I feel like I have room for cardio, kettlebells, weights, diet, work and even karate. There is a handy balance that exists there. I am not sure I want to beat myself around the head for the next six month or year or however long it is likely to take. I am also unsure as to how I may make such an achievement around work when it does resume. I guess something to play be ear for the moment...

In general, have been a tad on the snuffly side this morning although I don't actually feel sick. Decided against cardio this morning as my legs are quite sore from yesterday's kettlebell games. I went through and repeated the workout from Thursday with improvement, although I am still having some difficulty with the windmills. My left forearm is also quite significantly sore.

Will do a double tonight. No doubt it will contain contents of last night. But looking forward to it all the same. :-) Currently waiting on the delivery of our new dryer. Hooray for convenience. I should be cleaning up the garage but this stuff nose has put a block in my brain which has a rather negative impact on my general motivation. I did however, clean up my desk this morning, washing the blankets and towels as well as do the weeding. Those nasty little pebbles around the side look lovely but are going to have to go... That and I am not overly enjoying doing the duck and weave around the clothes line!

Anyhow, shall call it a day here!
|
This entry was posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: