Author: Greeny
•Sunday, September 06, 2009
While pottering around the world of Map My Run, I found a link to a newbie running plan called Couch-to-5K. Theoretically, folks who follow the plan step by step should be able to run a continuous 5K in just over two months!  It follows a similar format to what I used to (blindly) employ as a method of increasing speed and decreasing rest phases when doing the HIIT on the treadmill. So... I got something right. Smileys

So, after reading through a few different forums and finding a high success rate, I have decided to embark on this journey and hopefully, be a lot better off for it!

This morning I set out for the very first time and decided to follow the advice given, starting at the beginning and pacing myself.  Week one looked pretty easy and I can say that I felt pretty comfortable the whole way through. I didn't really need 90 seconds for recovery each time but made sure I did anyway.  All in all, 3.05km in 20 minutes and 18 seconds, averaging ~9 km/hr (not bad considering all the walking I had to do in there).  So, my goal next time is to work a little harder on each run segment so that I get a little further by the end.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
It is a really, really basic start but I feel wonderful and I like having a sense of direction with progression.  The fact that many people have had success is encouraging and helps me to believe that I will actually be able to get to the end.

Tomorrow will probably have to be a rest day as I've got my finally arms session on the strength program in the morning followed by training in the afternoon.  I'll see how my legs are feeling.  Don't want to burn out at this early stage either!
|
This entry was posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On Monday, September 7, 2009 at 12:18:00 AM GMT+10 , Guttermouth said...

That's awesome, good for you! I'll look forward to keeping up with you on your C25K journey. There's several of us who blog on blogspot, and be sure to check into the facebook group now and then! Keep up the great work!

 
On Monday, September 7, 2009 at 2:19:00 PM GMT+10 , Jess said...

Eeek! I was inspired after reading your post yesterday to try the program too. I had heard of it before but not gotten around to trying it. Did 1.1 yesterday and will go for 1.2 tomorrow - on my off days from the gym. Not sure if it is the smartest thing to do considering my black belt grading is supposed to be next month...