Author: Greeny
•Saturday, September 05, 2009
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I had search a little while to find that smiley... because that truely represents how I presently feel!  Yes, at long last, I am on holidays!!!!

Today marks the start of two weeks two myself and the start of a new training program and a new eating plan!

How much am I going to enjoy sleeping in and leaving the political work world behind... for now.

Before I launch off into my successes from my four week strength program, I would like to throw out my latest discovery.  Map My Run  I can't take full credit for this.  It was tucked away in one of the more recent issues of Australian Women's Health.  I usually prefer the guys version but it did list this link.  Anyway, basically it utilises Google Maps to allow you to plot out the path of your run on a map and calculates the total distance as well as relevant inclines and declines.  Plug in a few stats and it will also calculate your calorie expenditure and average speed too. Not to mention allowing you to keep a log of your runs and times etc.  There is actually quite an expanse to the site but I've stuck to what I've wanted.

Anyhow, seeing that we've moved on the next phase which is all about speed, endurance and core strength, I thought it was time to actually learn how to run outdoors.  While I can jump on a treadmill, increase the incline and do 30second on and off at 16km/hr for 20 minutes.... epic fail comes to mind when attempting to actually run on the road for any length of time.
  Smileys
So, at least until work starts up, I am going to make an effort to include a daily run in my routine. I thought I'd start easy and work my way up.  My fun little tool told me that if I did the biggest loop around the neighbourhood, I would cover 1.15km and it would be pretty flat all the way.  Smartly, after coming home from a good legs session, I decided to give it a go.

SmileysIt was a nice try...  To get around once... which was all that I managed before dying on the ground...it did take me six minutes and 24 seconds.  I converted to a walk twice during that time but only for 30 seconds on each occasion. Apparently, that meant I ran at an average of 10.78km/hr and burned a poxy 72cal. I have a LOT of work to do...

So, I've set myself a few targets about distances and stop points and will see where things go.  Apparently, there are a lot of people out there who manage to make themselves into long distance runners so surely now that I am lighter and fitter than my first attempt (2004) I will make progress???

....Moving on, I might hold off posting the outcomes of my strength rotation until after I've kicked out the final arm session on Monday.

Tried the vanilla flavour of Reflex Instant Whey this morning and can say that I am impressed.  I'd avoided the vanilla as I was suspicious it would be boring or weak.  It is neither.  Mixes with yoghurt like a dream and seems to go alright in porridge.  Will have to try the latter again seeing I overcooked it a bit today but reckon it will even be better as a half serve.  Sick to death of banana and can't wait for it to be finished off!

Going to leave it there and actually change out of these smelly, sweaty clothes!

Bring on Spring Holidays!!!
|
This entry was posted on Saturday, September 05, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On Saturday, September 5, 2009 at 3:03:00 PM GMT+10 , Jess Carr said...

I struggle to run any distance of time even on the treadmill but I'm getting a lot better. When I started at the gym, two minutes almost killed me.. yesterday I ran 8 minutes at 10.5 km an hour.. then rest, another run, etc for about 5km. Trying to get my 5km overall time down. Still mega unfit but it is good when you start to see improvements.

Need to get out on the road but know it will be an epic fail and the self conscious factor is there too!

 
On Sunday, September 6, 2009 at 10:01:00 AM GMT+10 , Greeny said...

I've always found running long distance on the treadmill difficult. Primarily because I am the master of self sabotage and want to run faster than a speed that I can actually maintain and then end up doing weird things to try to slow do which is fatiguing in a different way to that which happens outdoors. (Buggered if that made any sense!).

Sounds like you are doing really well!! 10km/hr is just a bit too much out of my distance capabilities at the moment but I'm hoping that it will improve with this running plan I've discovered!