Author: Greeny
•Tuesday, September 08, 2009
OMG, what a mammoth day!

I got up this morning and couldn't help myself... had to go and hit the road again.  This time I made a concerted effort to stretch out and although it didn't fix my shin muscles, the calves were cured, qauds and hamstrings good.

I knew by the end of the first lap that I was ahead of the game this time. After a fair bit of research, I concentrated moving horizontally, minimising bouncing or any unnecessary movement.  It all felt better today and I was a lot more in touch with my body.  I also noticed that after a few running intervals I had started to get into a breathing rythm rather than crazy, rasping death rattles which would immediately precede lead legs.  Knowing that I was going to hit home under the 20 minute mark I decided to slog it out and complete the third full lap and running 90seconds for the last interval.

3.45km in 22 minutes and 26 seconds with an average speed of 9.22km/hr - yay for going faster!Smileys

Bam! There is was, euphoric high!  Yeah, have to say that running leaves me in the most awesome head space compared with any other activity!

So, after a warm down stretch I chugged a pre-work out drink and headed off to the gym.  Seriously, that funky happy feeling is the only way to train.  It was the final arms session and my total lack of progress just proves just how pathetic they are! Smileys  Oh and should I mention that my IPOD shuffle decided, without warning, that the battery was dead and refused to work.... But it wasn't all bad!  I wasn't able to bump up the weights but my performance was more consistent and my tricep based activties were definately stronger.  I suspect that has a lot to do with my "other" training. Smileys

So, two session down for the day, grocery shopping in the mix and then headed off to Intraining Running Centre to get some new running shoes!

For the second time in my adult life, I looked at the barely-out-of-school chick behind the counter and wondered where the experienced guy was hiding...  With a few moments to kill while another customer was served, I decided that I was being judgemental and that her age was really no indication of her running experience and would probably wipe my ass on the road.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAs it turned out, she did know what she was talking about and I suspect if we knew each other outside of professional circumstances, we would have gotten on like a house on fire.  Had to admit though, I felt a little silly running around the outside of the shop, trying to get a feel for the shoes.  I didn't have a whole of choice as my size seems to be the most popular but as it was I had two pairs I couldn't decide between. But at some point I forgot I was still wearing an Adidas Adistar Ride W and figured this was the way to go.

While I was paying, something else caught my eye.  Something called a SPIBELT i.e. Small Personal Items Belt.  It is essentially the ultramodern version of a bumbag made for runners. I was assured by the sales chick that it didn't slip or bounce around and figured that it had to better than tucking my house key into the shoe laces! So, I now also own a slim black one with a red zip. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My final task for the day was to get through karate. I didn't do a whole lot in the first class but got into some impromptu teaching... wow how rusty am I at teaching "advanced" blocks and strikes. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Oh well.  Second class was pretty good.  Thought that I would be tired from having run and been to gym without a whole lot of rest but actually found myself flying through!  I think that can be partly attributed to holidays.  We focused on some more tournament based activities towards the end. Still not sure why I entered.  The same biases are still going to exist and I don't trust myself to perform well when nervous.  But hey... might as well give it a go. Besides, if I can't do it there, how on Earth am I going to go at grading?  There is a possibility that I'll be the only one heading for nidan and then I'll be expected to perform alone, in front the RMs, Sensei Gavin, the rest of the cohort and bystanders. Image and video hosting by TinyPic  I shall consider it practise!

Anyhow, that component also went well and felt that I managed to stick together in a reasonable manner under a little bit of stress.  Sometimes it is hard to break the old habits under those circumstances.  Just keep plugging away I guess...
|
This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: